Vegan Red Lentil Chilli

You guys, it’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on here but I am finally feeling the mojo again and I’m looking forward to writing for you all. I mean, writing for me mostly, but the few of you who stuck around, you’re awesome ;)

I’ve been on a bit of a fitness challenge recently, and in doing so have re-overhauled my food. I have always eaten pretty healthily, something that is spurred on my by auto immune disease and the notion I need to look ‘snatched’ in a bikini each Summer.

Side note: I have never looked ‘snatched’ in a bikini.

The programme is six weeks long, and is being run by Active Essex and BlitzFitMe (BFM from hereon in), and the best part is that it only cost me £10 to join! How crazy is that?! A food plan, a Nutritionist on hand at all times of the day or night, a PT planned workout each week and all the support I could possibly need. I am currently part way through week two and LOVING IT. I LOVE IT! The workouts are hard, but the food is good, so can I really complain?

Probably not, and yet here I am. Complaining. My ass does hurt though!

I created this Vegan Red Lentil Chilli based on the food groups we are supposed to eat from, although this is fairy similar to a dinner I would usually create for Sam and myself. Just smaller portions, and actual care taken in measurements.

Usually I’m a throw-it-in-and-see kinda girl.

If you’d like to find out more about how to create this delicious and naturally vegan meal, please keep on reading!


Vegan Red Lentil Chilli

1 cup brown rice
¾ cup of red lentils, rinsed
3 cups closed cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup courgette, sliced thinly
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 pepper, diced
3 ½ cups vegetable stock, divided
1 tbsp tomato puree
½ cup red wine
½ tbsp Worcester sauce (vegan friendly, as it includes anchovies normally)
1 tsp Marmite
1 tsp maple syrup
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
Salt and pepper
½ tsp coconut oil
  1. Add the rice to a saucepan with 2 cups of vegetable stock, and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and leave to cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
  2. Heat the coconut oil on a medium – high heat until liquid. Add the garlic and vegetables, and sauté until soft.
  3. Add the red wine and let cook down with the vegetables, stirring frequently.
  4. Add the lentils, and stir throughout the vegetables.
  5. Add the remaining ingredients, and give a good stir ensuring all elements are spread throughout the pan.
  6. Cook on a medium heat for 20 or so minutes, stirring frequently. The lentils absorb a lot of moisture, so ensure you add liquid as necessary.
  7. Fork through the rice once cooked (you should see bubbles rising in the rice, that’s when it’s done!) and serve up.
  8. Dollop on some mayonnaise, natural yoghurt, or sour cream as required if you’ve made it a little too hot for your taste buds!
  9. How clean and tasty does this sound?! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did, we’re excited about the leftovers sitting in our fridge for a Friday treat!

It’s so good to be back – I missed you!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.