How To: Make Friends in a New Town


As someone who has moved out of their hometown, I truly understand how difficult it can be to make friends and feel as thought you are part of the town rather than someone who just happens to be living there.

When we first bought our home, we knew some people in the town but weren't necessarily good friends with them. It takes time and patience to make new friends, especially when you're older as social boundaries and perceptions get in the way, unlike childhood friends when you could become close buddies just by having the same lunch bag.

I've pulled together some of my top tips I found helped me entrench myself into a new community. Whilst I can't say I know everyone in town, I can say I always have someone on hand to hang out with should I find myself with a free afternoon!

Number 1 | Be open minded
A post shared by lo kent (@lokent) on
There are probably thousands of people in your town feeling exactly the same way as you; lost, a little lonely, maybe even a little scared. In saying that, there are probably a lot of people also put off by the fact that they don't know anyone or don't know how to meet people. How do you meet people outside of a forced environment i.e. school or work?! How do you make conversation? One of the best things I have done since moving is tried to stop judging people by what they do, how they look or who they're also friends with. If you've got something in common, jump on it! Make a date to go for a dog walk or meet up to browse the make up aisles together - everything counts when you're building a friendship!


Number 2 | Join a class
A post shared by lo kent (@lokent) on
Before I moved to the town (and because my hometown had nothing happening) I decided to join a fitness class in order to meet new people. I started off going once a week with someone I knew, and quietly getting to grips with the class. I found myself looking forward to it each week, and would usually have casual conversation with the people around me in the room. Fast forward a few months, and my one friend in the class stopped coming. I made the decision to keep going, and I'm so glad I did! Not only did I up my attendance to twice a week, but I also made great friends with the instructor as well as some other women in the class. I can confidently stride into class now knowing there will be friendly faces, and someone to share a glass of wine with on the weekends!


Number 3 | Ask for an introduction
A post shared by lo kent (@lokent) on
If you're lucky and do already know people in the area, don't be afraid to ask to hitch onto their plans. Are they going to the movies with some girlfriends? Maybe you could tag along. Do they go to the same coffee spot each Friday afternoon? Ask if they could show you too! Odds are, if they like their friends and you like them, you'll all get on like a house on fire.


Number 4 | Pool your resources
A post shared by lo kent (@lokent) on
One of the first things I did when we moved, was look through my contact list and see who I already knew in the area. It turned out, a lot of people had moved into the vicinity since I left school. Similarly, I knew there were a tonne of people from my work living in the same town. I made the decision quite early on to make the most of my work relationships, and actually get some true friends out of the people I spend eight hours a day with. It worked out perfectly for me, because I now have friends I not only get to hang out with, but also that I get to work with! I've been on weekend's away, had late night phonecalls and sent outfit ideas over social media at all hours of the day with some of my work friends. It's a really great feeling!

It's been over a year since moving now, and I have a core group of girlfriends who I hang out with pretty regularly as well as some couple friends Sam and I hang out with collectively. It's so nice to know that not only is our home here, but our life is also here too.

If you're worried about moving, don't sweat the small stuff. Friends come, roots grow and anxiety fades. Promise!

Top photo via 

6 comments:

  1. Joining a class is such a great idea! I also think friends of friends is a great way to meet people. :]

    // itsCarmen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I've meet some amazing people through friends!
      L

      Delete
  2. Carmen already said this, but I think your tip about joining a class is a wonderful idea! That way, you'll already have something in common and perhaps you could carpool or something! It's like the adult equivalent of joining clubs at University, hehe.

    Thanks for the tips! I will keep these tucked away in my mind for when I move!

    Kim
    Simply Lovebirds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll make friend in no time, Kim! L

      Delete
  3. great post topic. I can relate, yeah yes you nailed it...those social boundaries and perceptions...*rolls eyes* can be very frustrating sometimes. Thanks for sharing!

    Lillian
    www.theoccupiedoptimist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social boundaries can be super scary!
      L

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.